Last week Laura from Paeroa had a question for readers. “I would like to do some baking but with butter so expensive at the moment I would like recipes that use oil instead. Can you replace butter with oil? ”
Andie from Christchurch says yes – essentially the conversion ratio is 1 part butter to three quarters of oil. So instead of using 1 cup of butter in a recipe, the replacement is ¾ of a cup of oil.
Andie has also referred us to a website that lists a number of butter substitutes that can be used in baking. Here are some of the ones that are likely to be of the most interest:
- Applesauce: use 1/2 cup applesauce instead of 1 cup of butter
- Avocado: 1 cup to 1 cup of butter
- Greek yoghurt: 1/2 cup to 1 cup of butter. Most suitable for baking cakes.
- Pumpkin puree: 3/4 cup to 1 cup of butter.
- Coconut oil: 1 cup to 1 cup of butter.